Monday, July 28, 2008

Week Okay, I'm over it

Nahh, I'm just kidding.  I'm not really over it.  I just wanted to give some variety to my titles.   I am ready to go back home, but I'm definitely not over it. 

I wish I had pictures to show of this past week, but unfortunately, my not even a year old, 300 dollar camera, was run over by a go-cart.

You know, I think one’s true self comes out in times of crisis and that’s the best time to gauge how a person really is.

Thus far, I think I’m a pretty nice person.

Last year, Andrew C. was bringing my Euphonium from Chicago to Akron. I couldn’t take it with me on the bus. He was driving and had plenty of room for it. Andrew left his car doors open while he was packing and they stole it.

He felt terrible.

My honest reaction was, “You know what…its just stuff. Its just STUFF. No one was hurt and You Can’t Take It With You.”

One day this week Dane and I went to Rinky Dink in Medina since we weren’t called for Othello rehearsal during the day. It was fun; we did the Bumper Boats, Dance Dance Revolution, and the Go-Carts.

My camera fell out of Dane’s pocket and onto the track.

He felt terrible.

I convinced him that it wasn't a big deal at all. It really wasn't. I was also convinced that one of the other go-carters more than likely probably aimed for it.  I was horrible at go-carts. Horrible. I was so far behind that I was in first place.

One day before rehearsal Uncle Darren took Andy and I to The Wolf Creek Winery for some roommate bonding time, if you will. I had a good time, but I wasn't impressed with the winery. I guess I was expecting something out of SIDE WAYS, but it basically was a wine bar in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees and a lake. We got drunk and did monologues for each other. Good times, Good times.

Now that I think about it, this was: Party Like A Rock Star week. Hamlet is in full swing and the audiences love it. I’m off book for Othello and rehearsal has been pretty effortless and fun.

Pardon me for not remembering what days I did what. The weeks and days are all running together now.

Some time this past week a few of us went down to Kent and had a totally epic night. We partied at the Zephyr where shots and pitchers abounded. Then we were invited to an after party.

As Dane and I were walking to the car we both had to piss so we went in this huge bush. It was massive. It was a wall. Dane finished first and when I walked out this really really cute girl asked, “What were you guys doing in there?”

I started saying, “Yes, yes,  so I’m going to want to prune the edges off, probably about ¼ inch. Also, I want to put in some flower beds and daffodils and umm, sun..flowers.”

Dane and Jessica with the Skirt, which was what I named her, started laughing.

I said, “Don’t laugh, I’m Mexican, I’m a professional. Landscaping is my life.”

The next thing I know, this girl is in the car with us and we’re on the way to a party with her. I don’t remember much about this first after party we went to; a lot of pretty girls that were all about me and some douche bags.

Apparently, I had a very long conversation with a hot guy that works at the Rec about Shakespeare, but I don’t remember that at all.

I do remember that as we were leaving I stole 2 lawn chairs from their porch.

When I drink there are two possible things that can happen: either I turn into a kleptomaniac or I get really horny. Both are highly dangerous.

Remind me to tell you about the time I stole a Christmas Tree and  a pool cue from Adams Street Bar. Now, that’s talent!

(FYI: 2 days later I took the lawn chairs back because I felt bad about it)

After the hoes and douche bag party, we went to the original after party we were invited to. It was so much fun. Everyone there was so cool and laid back. They had booze. There was pot (which I don’t do, but I don’t judge). There was guitar playing and singing. Great conversations. And, I may or may not have done 6 lines of coke.

That’s when you know you’ve had an awesome night. When you can say, “I may or may not, have done 6 lines of coke.”

You decided.
 
This week we also had a cast party for Hamlet at that Mansion with the jacuzzi and pool. It was awesome. Per request, I wore the same blue small and tight bathing suite I did last time.

They have an absolutely gorgeous up stairs bathroom, which I threw up all over. Three times.

You know what’s a sign of an amazing friend? No, not the person that holds your hair up as you’re throwing up, but the one that cleans up your puke.

Thanks, Dane!

Now I look like a freak because the throwing up, trice, put so much pressure on my eyes that I popped a blood vessel in my left eye and it’s all red.

I have to admit that this week was a little out of control. But, my time here is very quickly coming to an end. Hamlet closes this coming weekend and Ben will be here on Saturday (so excited). I do Othello for a week then it’s back to Chi-town on Aug 10th.

In Chicago, I start working on a one-man show project, Ben and I move to Uptown in September, I’m going to Texas for a High School Reunion, then I’ll be in Canton for 3 weeks in October for The Comedy of Errors.  

Oh yeah, and sometime in between all that I need to find a few new jobs, start my Second City Training, and prepare for a Comedy Masterclass that I’m giving in October.

Can you understand now why I Play Hard when I can?


PS For the Hamlet performance last night I proclaimed Mole Night. That’s when you have a mole and for every scene you go on stage it changes to a different location. At one point on stage when Hamlet is talking directly to me I saw his eyes do a double take of my face.  

Everyone deserves to have fun at work right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's Akron for you. There's more than one reason we all move away from there. ;)

(ps - here via Zach)

- KZ