Tuesday, February 19, 2008

what's next?

I have seen a lot of theatre lately. This month I have averaged 3 shows a week and what they say is true: “there is A LOT of Theatre in Chicago.” But what they don't tell you is: “There is a lot of BAD theatre in Chicago.”

Conversely, I also noticed that people here are very conservative about their standing ovations. I’ve seen 3 shows here that I thought neared perfection: Romance at the Goodman, A Flea in Her Ear at the Chicago Shakespeare, and The Glass Menagerie at the Court. Seriously, better stuff here than my last NYC Broadway trip. Yet no standing O.

Has anyone experienced one here? In Wicked or the tours maybe? Does that even count? And I'm talking about a full house standing ovation, not when 7 assholes get up, and they’re usually involved in the show somehow.

There has been more sun out lately so that's nice. It's still cold as fuck, but it's sunny at least.

I haven’t replaced my computer yet and not having the internet at home is impossible now a days. Yeah, blogging and facebook are awesome, but without MapQuest and CTA trip planner I can't fucken get anywhere. If you need any information quickly, WHAT DO YOU DO? WHAT DO YOU DO!!!??? Not having the internet is terrible and frightening. It’s terribly frightening. It’s boring and frustrating. It’s frustratingly boring. It’s sad and…sad. It’s sadly sad. I can keep going.

Alas, Mac's are much more expensive than PCs. I’m trying to hold out until I can afford a mac. I really really don't want to buy a PC lap top for the 3rd time now. Maybe it's me or am I just mistaken in my belief that, since you spend so much money on these goddamned things they should last you FOREVER AND EVER.

I got some auditions coming up. It’s been a hot minute since my last gig now so I figure I need start getting out there again, no matter how fucking cold it is. I have an almost firm offer from Ohio Shakespeare Festival so that’s very exciting. The Goodman called me on my cell phone today, which was very very very exciting. I played it very cool. Next week The Court is having 4 days of auditions.

I'm very happy that I’m moving up in the audition world scale sort to speak. Nonetheless, I also have an audition for a show at the Gorilla Tango....so you know, the life of an e.m.c.

That's it. That’s all I got. Sorry.

I usually can never say, "same old," but lately it really has just been the same old shit. I have a few big things in the air right now in the teaching and directing arena, so I’m just waiting to see what door opens first. One thing is certain; my 2nd year in Chicago will be different from my first one.

This year is already different: wonderful new friends, my current awesome assignment at the arts council, and the symphonic band. What else can I girl ask for? Oh yeah, a Mac.

2 comments:

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

When I first came to Chicago I saw the Snow Queen at the Victory Gardens and it was one of the worst shows ever.

And of course, aside from my group who refused to applaud - the idiot masses gave it a complete full standing ovation. And all I wanted to do was beat the crap out of the writer, director, and every single goddamn musician onstage.

On the reverse, Fragements at Chicago Shakes was phenomenal and only half the house gave them a standing ovation. People wouldn't know good theatre if it bit them on the ass.

Anonymous said...

I have def. seen very few good chicago shows, but I tend not to go to that many. It's the same with comedy. But chicago tends to be a place where they aren't to easy to please anyway.